I Need To...
Tax Payers
Court System
Contact Us


Click through to find:

  • A helpful arrangement of frequently used Cherokee County online resources
  • Commonly requested forms and documents for a variety of departments and agencies
  • Links to other sites and services often used by our residents


Click through to find:

  • Links to every department and agency under the jurisdiction of the Cherokee County Board of Commissioners
  • Contact information for departments with the name of the department/agency head
  • Links to common agencies not under the jurisdiction of the BOC, but which maintains close ties with us


Click through to find:

  • Information about and links to both the Tax Commissioner and Tax Assessor's Office. (They are very different organizations)
  • Quick links to both the Paying your Taxes online and the Real Estate Search applications.
  • Information about Homestead Exemptions
  • Information about Property Taxes, Millage Rates, and Car Tags


Click through to find:

  • A page listing every judicial and court system in Cherokee County with a brief introduction to what they cover
  • Quick links to Jury Duty Information, Traffic Citation Payments, Court Calendars, Deeds and Records Search, Passport Information, and a lot more


Click through to find:

  • Ways to contact the Cherokee County Board of Commissioners, Department and Agency Heads, and State Agencies and Offices
  • Directions to all County Facilities
  • Quick Link to Finding Your Commissioner
× Home I Need To... Departments Tax Payers Court System Contact Us

Development Service Center

News and Announcements
Thanksgiving Holiday

County offices will be closed November 23rd and 24th.  

Posted: Oct-25-2023 | view story

Posted: Mar-16-2020 | view story

Shannon Griffith
Development Service Center Manager
(770) 721-7810

Back to Development Service Center

Forms and Documents

Contact Department

Send Us An Email

Special Events Permit


The following is an informational guide provided by Cherokee County, Development Service Center. Special Events provide opportunities to promote community welfare and quality of life; conditions and restrictions under the Special Event Permit are intended to protect the community and general public health, safety and welfare.
This guide is intended to work in cooperation with all other applicable rules, regulation, laws and ordinances of Cherokee County. Download a copy of the guide here. 
When is a permit required?
A permit is required for activities sponsored by an organization or individual for profit or non-profit and held on public property or private and shall include but not be limited to block parties, trade shows, festivals, fairs, fun runs, roadway foot races, fundraising walk, auction, bikeathons, parades, carnivals, filming/movie events, concerts, motorcycle rides, and which event is to be held:
  1. Wholly or partially on property owned or maintained by the County
  2. On a street or sidewalk located within the County and will likely result in the obstruction of such streets or sidewalks or will likely compromise the ability of the County to respond to a public safety emergency
  3. On any other property, but requires for its successful execution the provision and the coordination of the County services to a degree over and above that which the County routinely provides.
When is a permit NOT required
  1. An activity held solely on private property and which does not otherwise require for its successful execution the provision and coordination of the County services to a degree equal to and/or over and above that which the County routinely provides
  2. Programmed activities provided or managed by the County, i.e. recreational and senior center programs
  3. Any event that would otherwise fall within the definition or a special event held in a County Park and does not interfere with the regular use of the park by the general public
  4. First Amendment Activity on County streets or sidewalks (including those in parks) that will not likely result in the obstruction of the County streets or sidewalks nor compromise the ability of the County to respond to a public safety emergency; or
  5. Permitting of sports fields, sports facilities or park shelters, recreation or senior centers. Please contact Cherokee Recreation and Parks Agency for information about the use of the many parks available in Cherokee County.  Visit their web site or call  (770) 924-7768. 
Deadline for filing permit application
An application must be submitted to the Development Service Center not less than thirty (30) calendar days and not more than three hundred sixty-five (365) calendar days prior to the event. In addition to a special event permit, other permits and licenses may be required (i.e. alcohol license, food permit, Signs Permit, Fireworks, etc.) these may take up to 30 days to obtain so please plan accordingly.
Where do I apply for a permit? 
Development Service Center
1130 Bluffs Parkway, Canton GA 30114
Get directions to DSC
Permit processing hours:
8:00AM to 4:30PM
Monday through Friday (Closed for Holidays)
Documents required when submitting permit application
  • A detailed plan/layout of the event area, including locations of all tables, chairs, tents, stages, etc. 
  • Plans for parking facilities
  • Sanitation plans ( provisions for the collection of all trash and debris related to the special event)
  • Copies of related permits, certifications and State licenses
  • Map of the race/parade route
  • An alcohol license from the responsible party that is serving/selling alcohol at the event (if applicable)
  • A certificate of insurance (General liability insurance - comprehensive form, covering bodily Injury, including death, personal injury and property damage, with limits of not less than $1,000,000 combined single limit (CSL) per occurrence and including Cherokee County Georgia as an additional insured party. The certificate of insurance must be submitted to the Development Service Center no less than fourteen (14) days prior to the event. The insurance agency must be licensed in the State of Georgia
A $50.00 permit fee is required at time of submittal of application and is non-refundable. Fees associated with permit conditions (i.e. electrical, security, Fire Emergency services, Building Permit, etc.) are in addition to the above fees mentioned and are the sole responsibility of the applicant/sponsor. In addition to the permit fee there is also a $100.00 fee for events that will be serving/selling alcohol.
Methods of payment
Cash, Checks and Credit Cards (A 3% convenience fee will apply on credit card charges)
Conditions for issuance of permit
Any permit which is granted for any event may contain conditions and restrictions intended to reduce or minimize the dangers and hazards to vehicular and pedestrian traffic, impact of the surrounding community and general public health, safety and welfare
Approval of permit
The Development Service Center will be your primary point of contact to find out the status of your permit and approval will be issued after all departments have approved. A letter will be sent to the applicant/sponsor.
Cherokee County, Georgia "Where Metro Meets the Mountains" | © Cherokee County Board of Commissioners