Drainage Easement Policy
1) “Drainage Easement” means an easement appurtenant or attached to a tract or parcel of land allowing the owner of adjacent tracts or other persons to discharge stormwater runoff onto the tract or parcel of land subject to the drainage easement.
2) It is the policy of Cherokee County that drainage easements are dedicated to the public use and are not accepted by Cherokee County for county maintenance and are not considered County property. Therefore, it is Cherokee County policy that no County forces or equipment shall be used to perform construction to any drainage easement within Cherokee County, unless said easement lies within Cherokee County right-of-way and/or said work is necessary to protect County right-of-way per Cherokee County Policy adopted January 14, 1997.
3) Cherokee County shall not be responsible for maintenance of any pipes other structures within any drainage easement outside the County right-of-way.
4) Cherokee County maintains the right to access drainage easements for emergency purposes as deemed necessary by the County Engineer.
5) The property owner will be required to keep the easement free of obstruction in such a way as to ensure the maximum designed flow at all times.
6) The property owner shall not alter any drainage improvements without the prior written approval from the Cherokee County Engineering Department.
These items include pipes, channels (ditches), and stormwater management ponds.