I Need To...
Tax Payers
Court System
Contact Us


Click through to find:

  • A helpful arrangement of frequently used Cherokee County online resources
  • Commonly requested forms and documents for a variety of departments and agencies
  • Links to other sites and services often used by our residents


Click through to find:

  • Links to every department and agency under the jurisdiction of the Cherokee County Board of Commissioners
  • Contact information for departments with the name of the department/agency head
  • Links to common agencies not under the jurisdiction of the BOC, but which maintains close ties with us


Click through to find:

  • Information about and links to both the Tax Commissioner and Tax Assessor's Office. (They are very different organizations)
  • Quick links to both the Paying your Taxes online and the Real Estate Search applications.
  • Information about Homestead Exemptions
  • Information about Property Taxes, Millage Rates, and Car Tags


Click through to find:

  • A page listing every judicial and court system in Cherokee County with a brief introduction to what they cover
  • Quick links to Jury Duty Information, Traffic Citation Payments, Court Calendars, Deeds and Records Search, Passport Information, and a lot more


Click through to find:

  • Ways to contact the Cherokee County Board of Commissioners, Department and Agency Heads, and State Agencies and Offices
  • Directions to all County Facilities
  • Quick Link to Finding Your Commissioner
× Home I Need To... Departments Tax Payers Court System Contact Us

Probate Court

Keith Wood
Probate Judge
(678) 493-6160

Forms and Documents

Contact Department

Send Us An Email

Instructions for All Patrons:

  • If you have symptoms associated with COVID-19, such as a persistent cough or fever, or if you have been in contact with someone who has such symptoms, do not come to the Justice Center until such time as you are symptom-free or have observed a proper quarantine period.
  • Have all applications and petitions completed and additional documentation in hand PRIOR TO arriving at the Justice Center. Almost all applications and petitions can be found on the Probate Court website.
  • Be patient and kind to the staff and each other.
  • Call the Probate Court at (678) 493-6160 for appointments and questions.

Estate and Guardianship/Conservatorship Proceedings:

Petitions are accepted on an appointment basis.  If you are looking to file a petition, you may call the Probate Court office at 678-493-6160 to schedule an appointment.  This Court also accepts completed petitions by mail.

Marriage License Applications:

Applications will be accepted between 8:30 and 4:10pm Monday-Friday on a walk in basis. Please have the application completed and all required documentation in hand prior to arriving at the courthouse.

To obtain information on necessary documents, and download an application, go to https://www.cherokeega.com/Probate-Court/Apply-for-a-Marriage-License/

Marriage Document Requests

If you purchased your marriage license in Cherokee County,  you may come in person or mail in a request for a marriage certificate/certified application.  The fee is $10.00 each (cash, money order or debit/credit).  If you wish to pay with a debit/credit card, you must come in person and there is a 4% service fee.  Money orders must be made payable to the Cherokee County Probate Court.

If you need to mail in a request, the request form is found here: https://www.cherokeega.com/Probate-Court/_resources/documents/Marriage%20Doc%20Request%20Form.pdf.  The fee may be paid by money order or cash only). Please make sure you include your return address and telephone number on the request.  If you are needing a certified copy of your application, please include a copy of your identification (driver’s license, passport, etc.)

Our mailing address is:

Cherokee County Probate Court, 90 North Street, Suite 340, Canton, GA 30114

Office hours: Monday thru Friday, 8:30a.m. – 4:00p.m.

Weapons Carry License Applications:

New and renewal applications will be accepted between 8:30 a.m. and 4:10 p.m. without appointment. 

If you are interested in applying for a new license or seeking a renewal, go to https://www.cherokeega.com/Probate-Court/How-to-apply-for-a-Weapons-Carry-License/.  On this page, you can find information on what is needed to apply and print out an application so you can complete it prior to your arrival.

Senate Bill 319 - Constitutional Carry

This office cannot provide direction or guidance on the ramifications of the "Constitutional Carry" legislation which is now in effect other than to note that this legislation did not affect the issuance of Weapons Carry Licenses.

Forms of Payment

On Weapons Carry License and Marriage License applications, the Court accepts payment by cash, money order, or credit card.  On all other proceedings, in addition to those forms of payment, the Court will also accept a personal check.

This office cannot accept payment by credit card on any matter after 4:30 p.m.

Your cooperation is appreciated.

Keith Wood

Cherokee County, Georgia "Where Metro Meets the Mountains" | © Cherokee County Board of Commissioners